You are here
Greater Mankato Growth Posts Candidate Profiles Online
Mankato, MINN (October 9, 2013) – Profiles of candidates participating in the November 5, 2013 local elections are now available on Greater Mankato Growth’s election website greatermankatoelections.com. The information was provided directly from the candidates vying for Mankato Area Public School Board, as well as seats in Saint Peter including Mayor, City Council and School Board.
“When Greater Mankato Growth adopted its new public affairs strategy, one area in which we decided to focus our organizational efforts was providing education, resources and opportunities for engagement on public policy issues to our members, so they can be their own best advocate,” said Jonathan Zierdt, President and CEO of Greater Mankato Growth. “Elections are one of the most important and effective ways citizens can make their voices heard. By providing our members, as well as the broader community, access to the information presented in these candidate profiles, we hope to enable them to make informed voting decisions.”
All candidates participating in these elections were asked to complete an online profile, including biographical information, as well as respond to a questionnaire. Rather than focusing on specific issues, the questionnaire is behavior-focused, enabling voters to gauge a candidate’s perspective, as well as his or her decision making style and process. The questionnaire was generated from a list of characteristics that are essential for effective public servants and that will represent the area well in areas not only impacting business, but the overall vitality of the region at large:
- fiscal responsibility (efficient and effective use of financial resources)
- local and regional business issue awareness, appreciation and advocacy (for the economic development of the Greater Mankato area)
- ability and willingness to promote and participate in open communication among local governing bodies, business and community
- conscientiousness in researching issues (data driven, diverse information)
- visionary and independent thought process (open to a diversity of viewpoints; willing to listen respectfully, consider collaborative ideas and then make a decision)
- resolute decision making while being responsive to a changing environment
- capability to present and support ideas (strong communicator)
About Greater Mankato Growth
Greater Mankato Growth (GMG) is committed to advancing business for a stronger community. As the Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development organization serving the regional marketplace, GMG advances business through: existing business support, new business growth, business promotion, talent development, public affairs, community marketing, visitor attraction and servicing and civic engagement. Greater Mankato Growth, Inc. also includes two LLCs: Visit Mankato, which focuses on visitor attraction and servicing, and the City Center Partnership, LLC, which focuses on development in the City Center.