You are here
Greater Mankato Leadership Institute Participants to Spread Holiday Cheer Wednesday
Mankato, Minn. (December 18, 2012) – For 27 years the Greater Mankato Leadership Institute has provided comprehensive leadership training with a personal, professional and community focus. As part of this nine month program, one session is dedicated entirely to leadership through community service. This year’s community service day is this Wednesday, December 19, with the class learning from area experts in the morning and then engaging in a variety of service projects around the community from 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.
“Community service is an integral part of leadership,” said Barb Embacher, Vice President of Greater Mankato Growth. “While much of the training our Leadership Institute participants receive is in the classroom, there are also experiential opportunities like this that enable them to hone their leadership skills in real life situations.”
For this year’s community service day, teams of Leadership Institute participants will volunteer at:
· VINE Faith in Action, 1618 Third Avenue, Wrapping and/or delivering gifts to home-bound elders
· MRCI Thrift Store, 111 Sioux Road, Take donations, put items out for sale, assist with check-out
· VINE Home Store, 77 Star Street, Arrange donations, clean furniture, etc.
· Holiday Sharing Tree, Mankato Armory, Assist with gift distribution
· Salvation Army, Walmart and Downtown HyVee, Bell ringing
· Ecumen Pathstone Living, 718 Mound Avenue, Assist with resident Christmas party
· Children’s Museum of Southern Minnesota, 121 East Cherry Street, Assorted volunteer projects
· ECHO Food Shelf, 1014 South Front Street, Unpack food, sort, work with clients, etc.
If you’d like to interview someone about the Leadership Institute’s community service day at one of the above sites, please call Barb Embacher at 380.7130 in advance, so we can make sure they are at the correct location for you.
About the Greater Mankato Leadership Institute
The Greater Mankato Leadership Institute is a part of Greater Mankato Growth’s work in the area of Talent Development. The nine-month program consists of 11 day long sessions between September and May. Each year the curriculum is updated to ensure graduates are well prepared to serve as leaders in their workplace and the community. In its 27 years, the Greater Mankato Leadership Institute has graduated more than 500 leaders.