You are here
Martin Luther King Jr. Community Celebration January 21
MANKATO, Minn. (January 14, 2012) The 29th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Celebration will be held Monday, January 21, at Halling Recital Hall in the Performing Arts Center of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
The event will begin at 5:30 p.m. with hors d’ oeuvres and social time. The formal program starts at 6:15 p.m. with the presentation of Scholarships and Pathfinder Awards. This year’s Pathfinder Award recipients are:
- Pathfinder Award: Scott Fee
- Young Pathfinder Award: Loyola Catholic School
- Business Pathfinder Award: Mankato Hy-Vee Stores
At 6:30 p.m., entertainment will be provided by an African Drum Troupe, followed by Keynote Speaker Dr. David Nichols. A presidential historian and author, Dr. Nichols has his Ph.D. in history from the College of William and Mary. His dissertation, Lincoln and the Indians: Civil War Policy and Politics, was published in 1978 and is still the definitive study of Lincoln’s Indian policies during the Civil War. The book was reissued in paperback by the University of Illinois Press in 2000 and republished in 2012 by the Minnesota Historical Society Press. He also authored A Matter of Justice: Eisenhower and the Beginning of the Civic Rights Revolution published in 2007 and Eisenhower 1956 published in 2011. Nichols will also be speaking at Minnesota State University, Mankato the following evening, January 22, from 4 – 6 p.m.
- Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for students (free for children 6 and under), and may be purchased in advance at:
- Greater Mankato Diversity Council, 10 Civic Center Plaza, Mankato (385-6653)
- Greater Mankato Growth, 1961 Premier Drive, Suite 100, Mankato (385-6640)
- Minnesota State University, Mankato, Office of Institutional Diversity, Morris Hall #265, Mankato (389-6125)
- South Central College Bookstore, 1920 Lee Boulevard, North Mankato (389-7221)
- The Coffee Hag, 329 North Riverfront Drive, Mankato (387-5533)
Only a limited number of tickets will be available at the door.
For more information, visit greatermankato.com/pathfinder-awards.
Contact: Judy Arzdorf, 507.387.8281 x 247 | email@example.com