New Study Explores Minnesota Food & Beverage Manufacturing Capacity
Region Nine Development Commission, in partnership with the Agricultural Utilization Research Institute, the Minnesota Department of Agriculture, and FoodOps, is conducting a survey to identify food and beverage manufacturing trends to support growth in these and related sectors. The goal of the survey is to help create an increased economic impact for the entire state.
The project is in response by the AURI to an apparent lack of capacity or access to affordable, right-sized manufacturing options in Minnesota for growing, ready-to-scale small food and beverage businesses. Failure to address these infrastructure needs places the state at risk of losing not only the economic benefit these businesses provide today such as jobs, revenue, capital, and agricultural product utilization, but also minimizes the economic potential of attracting new food and beverage businesses to the state.
The intended audience of this survey are those in the food and beverage manufacturing sectors within the state of Minnesota, regardless of annual sales volume, that is defined by the standard industrial classifications system, Food and Kindred Products used by the United States Department of Labor.
Anticipated Project Benefits to Minnesota:
- Identification of the real and perceived strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats faced by food and beverage manufacturers and related sectors.
- Potential increases in employment and income in all sectors tied to the food and beverage manufacturing sectors, which may result in economic growth for the state.
- Ability to gain resilience in all related sectors by understanding what opportunities and threats exist, how those challenges could be mitigated, and opportunities pursued.
- Identification of opportunities for domestic and international investment benefits in Minnesota by adding the state’s economic growth and resilience.
- Food and beverage manufacturers of all sizes benefit from a study of their environment and new data resources and guides.
- Minnesota will benefit by identifying ways to potentially grow the food and beverage manufacturing sector, which may result in economic growth in multiple related industrial sectors.
- Creation of an assessment report to support the expansion of mid-sized companies with sales from $20,000 to $3 million as well as related industrial sectors.
- Provide assistance and insight to the state legislature in crafting and refining policies which offer the right amount of regulation and support to maintain level opportunities for all.
Access the Survey:
The survey is currently open and will be available to participants until February 5, 2020. To participate in the survey, please visit https://www.rndc.org/food-and-beverage-manufacturing-assessment/
For specific questions regarding the survey or study, please contact Shawn Schloesser at firstname.lastname@example.org or 507.389.8886.
Region Nine Development Commission takes great pride in working with and on behalf of counties, cities, townships, and schools throughout South Central Minnesota. Since 1972, being a partner for progress has led to the development of programs and identification of solutions in the areas of community development, economic development, transportation, healthy communities, business development, and leveraging regional resources.
The Agricultural Utilization Research Institute (AURI)'s mission is to foster long-term economic benefit through value-added agricultural products. It accomplishes this by using science and technology to help develop new uses for agricultural products. It collaborates with businesses and entrepreneurs to generate economic impact in Minnesota communities by helping them take advantage of innovative opportunities in four focus areas: biobased products, renewable energy, coproducts and food. AURI provides a broad range of services, including applied research and development, scientific assistance and a targeted network of resources to develop value-added uses for crops and coproducts.
Based in St. Paul, The Minnesota Department of Agriculture's mission is to enhance Minnesotans' quality of life by ensuring the integrity of our food supply, the health of our environment, and the strength of our agricultural economy. The department has existed in one form or another for more than 100 years. During that time, the state has changed from a mostly rural society with an economy based on agriculture and mining to a multifaceted state dominated by a world-class metropolitan area. As the state has changed, so has the department.
FoodOps LLC provides a variety of services that can be tailored to your specific needs. For a small growing business, we can fill any number of management roles in a fractional capacity. We can assist at any stage of your business cycle, from developing ideas to evaluating your end product.