You are here

Registration, Licensing & Permits

Registering your business, having the proper certifications or licensing along, with building permits are all essential and will help you avoid large fines and hassles. Use the resources on this page as a guide.



Registering your Business with the MN Secretary of State

Steps to registering your business

Legal and Accounting advice for registering

Minnesota Secretary of State

U.S. Internal Revenue Service

Businesses with employees, business partnerships, and corporations and other types of organizations, must obtain a federal tax ID - Employer Identification Number (EIN).

U.S. Internal Revenue Service | 1-800-829-4933

Sales Tax Permit or Vendor's License (state & local)

If you are required to collect sales tax on your products, you may need to obtain a Sales Tax Permit or Vendor's License from your state or local government (or both).

Business.gov provides a guide to help you learn about your state and local tax registration requirements.


Licensing & Permits

Every business needs one or more federal, state or local licenses or permits to operate.  Regulations vary by industry, state and location so use the business.gov tool, Permit Me, to learn about the licenses and permits required for your business.

MN license requirement search
Federal Licenses for Regulated Businesses

The Greater Mankato Growth, Inc. Family: Visit Mankato City Center Partnership