You are here
This program provides opportunities to make new connections and familiarize its members with the amenities available in Greater Mankato. The YPs are a vibrant group of 21 to 40-year-olds who love living and working in our community!
2020 Young Professionals Program Sponsors:
“Being involved in YP provides the support and training to help empower and guide the next generation of the communities emerging leaders. It also acts as a platform the elevate the ideas, voices and experiences of young professionals.”
About the Program
Annual Participation Includes
- Monthly social events - past events include Wow! Zone, Kayaking, MSU Indoor Climbing Wall, MoonDogs Game, Snowshoeing & Wine Tasting, Progressive Dinner, MSU Hockey Game and more!
- Monthly professional development sessions to build your skills - past events include Customer Service, Values Assessment, Working With Difficult People, Asking for a Promotion, Running an Effective Meeting, Speed Networking, business tours and more!
- Access to mentoring opportunities with area business leaders
- Opportunities to serve on committees and community initiatives
The program gives people who are newer in their careers and the business community an opportunity to meet others. Participants also bring in additional business opportunities through the connections they make within the community.
- Develop relationships with more than 200 fellow young professionals
- Expand business connections while promoting their business
- Grow leadership skills
- Increase engagement in the community
- Have fun!
“The Young Professionals program at GMG is the classic win-win initiative. We can see the growth of our Young Professionals in the program, and we can see lasting relationships being built improving Greater Mankato retention at a critical career phase all while building awareness of our brand throughout the region. Providing educational experiences to Young Professionals has also been a great way to give back to enthusiastic learners. Keep up the great work!”
- Chad Surprenant, President, ISG
"Once Young Professionals get a taste of all there is to do here and establish a network of friends and colleagues in the area, they are more likely to stay and enjoy life in Greater Mankato. Employers have found the program to be a very cost-effective development and retention strategy.”
- Christine Powers, Abdo Eick & Meyers, LLP
- Laura Drager, ISG - Chair
- Andrew Farm, Rasmussen College - Vice Chair
- Nate Olson, U.S. Bank - Professional Development Committee Co-Chair
- Jordan Lassahn, Frandsen Bank - Professional Development Committee Co-Chair
- Taylor Winter, Abdo Eick & Meyers - Social Committee Co-Chair
- Laura Jans, Abdo Eick & Meyers - Social Committee Co-Chair
- Sarah Dickhudt, Mayo Clinic Health System, YP Ambassador Chair
- Alyssa Nelson, Blethen Berens – GMG Public Policy Steering Committee YP Representative
Community Volunteer Opportunities
Check out current community volunteer opportunities at Greater Mankato United Way's Get Connected website!
The Greater Mankato Young Professionals hold one social and one professional development event per month. Annual participation in the program is $360 per individual representing a member business and $500 for those representing a nonmember business (prorated monthly for anyone who joins during the year) and includes admission to all activities and events, which usually include a great meal! To qualify for the $360 rate, YP applicants must be employed by a business that is at least an Engaged-level member of Greater Mankato Growth and also included as a representative in their businesses' membership. YP Membership is generally paid by the YPs' employer, but there are also many YPs that pay for their own membership.
Contact Crystal Olson at 507.385.6667 with membership questions.
Check-out the YP Facebook page for photos of past events! You can also join the YP Facebook Group for community events, volunteer opportunities and company updates.
“Being a part of Greater Mankato Growth YP's has helped me be more engrained in the community and network with others who want to develop a solid professional career. This program has really rooted me in the community and I would suggest this program to anyone.” - Kelly Duncan, Jack Link's
YP 2020 Events Calendar - some events are still tentative (events in RED are open for registration)
Social Event: Bingo at Bradleys - Hosted by Stunt Monkey
Professional Development Event: Tour of Blue Earth County Justice Center
Social Event: Fun Night at the Wow! Zone!
Professional Development Event: Full Body Leadership Demonstration with Chef Tracy
Greater Mankato Growth Cavaliers and Young Professionals New Member Event hosted at the Cambria Gallery
YP March Social Event: Sip, Snack & Socialize at Chankaska Creek Ranch & Winery
Professional Development Event: Find Your Place hosted by MRCI
Professional Development Event: Resilience In Transition virtually presented by Cindra Kamphoff
Virtual Social Event: Happy Hour
Virtual Professional Development Event: Cathy Brennan Presenting on the 4 Agreements
Virtual Social Event: Farrell's Pioneered Group Fitness Kickboxing
Virtual Professional Development Event: Hyvee Knife Skills Demonstration
Virtual Social Event: Wellness with WYSIWYG & Yoga With Sarah
Virtual Professional Development Event: Understanding Communication with Todd Thiewes, Sandler Training.
Social Event: Picnic in the Park
Professional Development Event: Professional Development Event: Greater Mankato Growth, Inc. Panel
Social Event: CityArt Walking Tour August 26th at 5:00 pm
Social Event: Biking & Hiking in Local Trails and Parks
Professional Development Event: Networking Lunch
Social Event: Pumpkin Painting on the Farm
Professional Development Event: Mayo Clinic Mental Health Presentation
Social Event: TBA
Professional Development Event: TBA
Social Event: Holiday Party
Professional Development Event: YP Annual Meeting and Social