You are here
This program provides opportunities to make new connections and familiarize its members with the amenities available in Greater Mankato. The YPs are a vibrant group of 21 to 40-year-olds who love living and working in our community!
2021 Young Professionals Program Sponsors:
“Being involved in YP provides the support and training to help empower and guide the next generation of the communities emerging leaders. It also acts as a platform the elevate the ideas, voices and experiences of young professionals.”
About the Program
Annual Participation Includes
- Monthly social events - past events include Wow! Zone, Kayaking, MSU Indoor Climbing Wall, MoonDogs Game, Snowshoeing & Wine Tasting, Progressive Dinner, MSU Hockey Game and more!
- Monthly professional development sessions to build your skills - past events include Customer Service, Values Assessment, Working With Difficult People, Asking for a Promotion, Running an Effective Meeting, Speed Networking, business tours and more!
- Access to mentoring opportunities with area business leaders
- Opportunities to serve on committees and community initiatives
The program gives people who are newer in their careers and the business community an opportunity to meet others. Participants also bring in additional business opportunities through the connections they make within the community.
- Develop relationships with more than 200 fellow young professionals
- Expand business connections while promoting their business
- Grow leadership skills
- Increase engagement in the community
- Have fun!
“The Young Professionals program at GMG is the classic win-win initiative. We can see the growth of our Young Professionals in the program, and we can see lasting relationships being built improving Greater Mankato retention at a critical career phase all while building awareness of our brand throughout the region. Providing educational experiences to Young Professionals has also been a great way to give back to enthusiastic learners. Keep up the great work!”
- Chad Surprenant, President, ISG
"Once Young Professionals get a taste of all there is to do here and establish a network of friends and colleagues in the area, they are more likely to stay and enjoy life in Greater Mankato. Employers have found the program to be a very cost-effective development and retention strategy.”
- Christine Powers, Abdo Eick & Meyers, LLP
- Andrew Farm, MRCI - Chair
- Laura Jans, Abdo Eick & Meyers - Vice Chair
- Nate Olson, U.S. Bank - Professional Development Committee Co-Chair
- Matthew McLaughlin, Morken Eckberg Steiner - Professional Development Committee Co-Chair
- Sarah Dickhudt, CrossCountry Mortgage - Social Committee Co-Chair
- Claire Riche, Taylor Corporation - Social Committee Co-Chair
- Ashley Hanley, Radio Mankato – GMG Public Policy Steering Committee YP Representative
Community Volunteer Opportunities
Check out current community volunteer opportunities at Greater Mankato United Way's Get Connected website!
The Greater Mankato Young Professionals hold one social and one professional development event per month. Annual participation in the program is $360 per individual representing a member business and $500 for those representing a nonmember business (prorated monthly for anyone who joins during the year) and includes admission to all activities and events, which usually include a great meal! To qualify for the $360 rate, YP applicants must be employed by a business that is at least an Engaged-level member of Greater Mankato Growth and also included as a representative in their businesses' membership. YP Membership is generally paid by the YPs' employer, but there are also many YPs that pay for their own membership.
Contact Crystal Olson at 507.385.6667 with membership questions.
Check-out the YP Facebook page for photos of past events! You can also join the YP Facebook Group for community events, volunteer opportunities and company updates.
“Being a part of Greater Mankato Growth YP's has helped me be more engrained in the community and network with others who want to develop a solid professional career. This program has really rooted me in the community and I would suggest this program to anyone.” - Kelly Duncan, Jack Link's
YP 2021 Events Calendar - some events are still tentative (events in RED are open for registration)
Social Event: Tubing at Mt. Kato
Professional Development Event: Coffee and Connections
Social Event: Brightful Meeting Games
Professional Development Event: Diversity & Inclusion with Bukata Hayes
Social Event:Adult Easter Egg Hunt
Professional Development Event: Postponed to April
Spring Mini Mentor Program:April 8 & May 13
Professional Development Event (March rescheduled event): Personal Finance w/ US Bank
Professional Development Event (April): Home Buying Process Presentation
Social Event: YP Comedy Night with Savants of Question
Social Event: Mocktail Mixology
Professional Development Event: True Colors Personality Assessment
Spring Mini Mentor Program: April 8 & May 13
Social Event: Kayaking POSTPONED to July
Professional Development Event: Golf Clinical June 16
Social Event: MoonDogs Game July 13
Professional Development Event: Cyber Security with Profinium Bank July 22
Social Event (Rescheduled from June): Float Party July 29
Joint Social + Professional Development Event: Mankato Regional Airport Tour & Social
YP Summer Camp Series: Brilliant Board Members
Social Event: CityArt Walking Sculpture Tour
Social Event: TBDProfessional Development Event:TBD
Social Event: MSU Hockey GameProfessional Development Event: Federated Insurance Tour
Social Event: YP Holiday PartyProfessional Development Event: YP Annual Meeting