You are here
This program provides opportunities to make new connections and familiarize its members with the amenities available in Greater Mankato. The YPs are a vibrant group of 21 to 40-year-olds who love living and working in our community!
2019 Young Professionals Program Sponsors:
“Being involved in YP provides the support and training to help empower and guide the next generation of the communities emerging leaders. It also acts as a platform the elevate the ideas, voices and experiences of young professionals.” - Taylor Grommersch, Brown & Brown of MN
About the Program
Annual Participation Includes
- Monthly social events - past events include Wow! Zone, Kayaking, MSU Indoor Climbing Wall, MoonDogs Game, Snowshoeing & Wine Tasting, Progressive Dinner, MSU Hockey Game and more!
- Monthly professional development sessions to build your skills - past events include Customer Service, Values Assessment, Working With Difficult People, Asking for a Promotion, Running an Effective Meeting, Speed Networking, business tours and more!
- Access to mentoring opportunities with area business leaders
- Opportunities to serve on committees and community initiatives
The program gives people who are newer in their careers and the business community an opportunity to meet others. Participants also bring in additional business opportunities through the connections they make within the community.
- Develop relationships with more than 200 fellow young professionals
- Expand business connections while promoting their business
- Grow leadership skills
- Increase engagement in the community
- Have fun!
“The Young Professionals program at GMG is the classic win-win initiative. We can see the growth of our Young Professionals in the program, and we can see lasting relationships being built improving Greater Mankato retention at a critical career phase all while building awareness of our brand throughout the region. Providing educational experiences to Young Professionals has also been a great way to give back to enthusiastic learners. Keep up the great work!”
- Chad Surprenant, President, ISG
"Once Young Professionals get a taste of all there is to do here and establish a network of friends and colleagues in the area, they are more likely to stay and enjoy life in Greater Mankato. Employers have found the program to be a very cost-effective development and retention strategy.”
- Christine Powers, Abdo Eick & Meyers, LLP
- Kelly Sonnek, Jack Link’s - Chair
- Laura Johnson, ISG - Vice Chair
- Andrew Farm, Rasmussen College - Professional Development Committee Co-Chair
- Jacob Ouradnik, Abdo Eick & Meyers - Professional Development Committee Co-Chair
- Sarah Dickhudt, Mayo Clinic Health System - Social Committee Co-Chair
- Laura Jans, Abdo Eick & Meyers - Social Committee Co-Chair
- Alyssa Nelson, Blethen Gage & Krause – GMG Public Policy Steering Committee YP Representative
Community Volunteer Opportunities
Check out current community volunteer opportunities at Greater Mankato United Way's Get Connected website!
The Greater Mankato Young Professionals hold one social and one professional development event per month. Annual participation in the program is $300 per individual (prorated monthly for anyone who joins during the year) and includes admission to all activities and events, which usually include a great meal! YP applicants must be employed by a business that is at least an Engaged-level member of Greater Mankato Growth and also included as a representative in their businesses' membership. YP Membership is generally paid by the YPs' employer, but there are also many YPs that pay for their own membership.
“Being a part of Greater Mankato Growth YP's has helped me be more engrained in the community and network with others who want to develop a solid professional career. This program has really rooted me in the community and I would suggest this program to anyone.” - Kelly Sonnek, Jack Link's
YP 2019 Events Calendar - some events are still tentative (events in RED are open for registration)
Professional Development Event: Healthy Eating & Meal Planning
Social Event: Snow Tubing & Social at Mount Kato
Social Event: The New Standards and Mankato Symphony Concert + Pre Party
Professional Development Event: Public Policy Forum w/area Legislators
Social Event: Learn to Curl & Social at the Mankato Curling Club
Professional Development Event: The Seven Laws of Self-Leadership
Professional Development Event: Wellness in the Workplace
Social Event: Paint your own Pottery Project at ARTifact
Social Event: Brewlympics at LocALE - Cinco deMayo Theme
Professional Development Event: Serving Our Community Through Volunteerism
Professional Development Event: The History of Taylor Corporation & tour of The Occasions Group, Wednesday, June 12, 7:30-9:00 am
Social Event: Kayaking at Paddle Jam & Solstice Music Festival, Saturday, June 22
Professional Development Event: Setting Personal Boundaries by Cathy Brennan, Thursday, July 18, 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
Social Event: Mankato MoonDogs Game, Wednesday, July 31, 6:35 pm
Professional Development Event: Tour of Chankaska (combined event)
Social Event: Social at Chankaska (combined event)
Social Event: MSU Theatre
Professional Development Event: "Staying Innovative" panel event
Social Event: Bingo at Buffalo Wild Wings, Thursdsay, October 10, 5-7 pm
Professional Development Event: TBA
Professional Development Event: Saving for Retirement
Social Event: MSU Hockey Game
Professional Development Event: YP Annual Meeting & Social
Social Event: YP Holiday Party
More 2019 events will be posted soon - check back again!