You are here
This program provides opportunities to make new connections and familiarize its members with the amenities available in Greater Mankato. The YPs are a vibrant group of 21 to 40-year-olds who love living and working in our community!
2018 Young Professionals Program Sponsors:
About the Program
Annual Participation Includes
- Monthly social events - past events include Wow!Zone, Kayaking, MSU Indoor Climbing Wall, MoonDogs Game, Snowshoeing & Wine Tasting, Progressive Dinner, MSU Hockey Game and more!
- Monthly professional development sessions to build your skills - past events include Customer Service, Values Assessment, Working With Difficult People, Asking for a Promotion, Running an Effective Meeting, Speed Networking, business tours and more!
- Access to mentoring opportunities with area business leaders
- Opportunities to serve on committees and community initiatives
The program gives people who are newer in their careers and the business community an opportunity to meet others. Participants also bring in additional business opportunities through the connections they make within the community. View the YP Directory!
- Develop relationships with more than 200 fellow young professionals
- Expand business connections while promoting their business
- Grow leadership skills
- Increase engagement in the community
- Have fun!
“The Young Professionals program at GMG is the classic win-win initiative. We can see the growth of our Young Professionals in the program, and we can see lasting relationships being built improving Greater Mankato retention at a critical career phase all while building awareness of our brand throughout the region. Providing educational experiences to Young Professionals has also been a great way to give back to enthusiastic learners. Keep up the great work!”
- Chad Surprenant, President, ISG
"Once Young Professionals get a taste of all there is to do here and establish a network of friends and colleagues in the area, they are more likely to stay and enjoy life in Greater Mankato. Employers have found the program to be a very cost-effective development and retention strategy.”
- Christine Powers, Abdo Eick & Meyers, LLP
- Chair: Angela Guentzel, Guentzel Family Farms
- Vice-Chair: Kelly Sonnek, Jack Link's
- Professional Development Committee Co-Chairs: Danielle Mehia, Wealth Enhancement Group & Cody Meschke, ISG
- Social Committee Co-Chairs: Katie Heintz, North Mankato Public Library & Kaitlyn Henderson, GMG
- Public Policy Steering Committee YP Representative: Alyssa Nelson, Blethen Gage & Krause
- ICLV Planning Committee YP Representative: Alec Pfeffer, ISG
Community Volunteer Opportunities
Check out current community volunteer opportunities at Greater Mankato United Way's Get Connected website!
The Greater Mankato Young Professionals hold one social and one professional development event per month. Annual participation in the program is $300 per individual (prorated monthly for anyone who joins during the year) and includes admission to all activities and events, which usually include a great meal! YP applicants must be employed by a business that is at least an Engaged-level member of Greater Mankato Growth and also included as a representative in their businesses' membership. YP Membership is generally paid by the YPs' employer, but there are also many YPs that pay for their own membership.
Professional Development Event: Everyone Communicates, Few Connect
Social Event: Trivia hosted by Stunt Monkey at Bradley's
Professional Development Event: Home Financing for Young Professionals
Social Event: Tour and Tasting at The Starkeller Brewery in New Ulm, Thursday, February 22, 5-8 pm
Professional Development Event: GMG Annual Meeting - Free Admission for YP Members, Thursday, March 8, 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
Social Event: "Tonight: The Music of West Side Story" at the Mankato Symphony & Pre-Social, Saturday, March 10, 6 p.m.
YP New Member Orientation/Membership Social: Monday, March 26, Noon-1 p.m. at Profinium
Professional Development Event: Tour of Dotson Iron Castings, Thursday, April 5, 7:30-9:00 am
Social Event: Team Games at the WOW!Zone, Thursday, April 19, 5:00-8:00 pm
Social Event: Cynco De Mayo-Themed Picnic/Hike at 7 Mile Creek Park, Thursday, May 3
Professional Development Event: "12 Habits of Successful People," Wednesday, May 23, 7:30-9:00 am
Social Event: Kayaking June 12 or 21
Professional Development Event: Tour of the Mankato Airport, June 25 or 26, 4:30-6;00 pm
Social Event: MoonDogs Game on the Loft - Thursday, July 12 at 7:05 pm
Professional Development Event: Solar Farm Tour (tentative)
Professional Development Event: Tour of Profinium Building Businesses
Social Event: FootGolf at Minneopa Golf Course
Sign-Up for the Fall/Winter Mentor Program
Social Event: CityArt Walk Scavenger Hunt, Tuesday, Sept. 25 (tentative date)
Professional Development Event: Tour of several Mayo Health System Hospital Departments & Social, Thursdsay, Sept.27, 5-7 pm
Social Event: Bonfire & S'mores at Chankaska, Oct. 18 or 25 (tentative)
Professional Development Event: Nutrition TBA
Social Event: Cooking Class/YP Cookoff, Wed. Nov. 7 (Tentative)
Professional Development Event: Get to Know Your Fellow YPs, Thursday, Nov. 15
Professional Development Event: YP Annual Meeting, Thursday, November 29 (Replaces Dec. Prof. Dev. Event)
Social Event: YP Holiday Party "YP's 10th Birthday Party," Location TBA, Thursday, Dec. 13
Interested in sponsoring an event? Click here to email Shannon